PRE-REQUISITE/SKILL LEVEL: Torch soldering and use of jewelers saw experience preferred.
THIS IS DAY 2 OF A 2-DAY WORKSHOP. Day Two is optional, but suggested, if you intend on prong setting 2 stones and/or working on sterling oval chain for your necklace.
In this class, we will explore and enjoy the exciting world of prong setting a beautiful focal. Often, I will come across a special specimen or a cab that just doesn’t lend itself to being bezel set. That’s when prongs are the answer. We will also be layering metal, whether it be all sterling silver or a mix of sterling silver and either brass or copper, practicing the art of sweat soldering.
It will be your choice to prong set one focal or a combination of two. If you intend on setting two stones and/or working on sterling silver links to make into a chain for your focal, I would suggest also taking Day Two. Bring your favorite flat backed specimen or cab, no larger than 40mmx50mm (and not too heavy) to wear around your neck. I will have a stash of druzies in various sizes, ammonite splits, and various unusual specimens & cabs in the classroom, just in case you feel the urge to shop, along with a nice selection of tiny cabs and bezel cups, too.
And, you will go home with Class Instructions and a very secret prong setting tool!
MINIMUM STUDENTS: 5
MAXIMUM STUDENTS: 8
WORKSHOP FEE: $120
KIT FEE: None
Shared use tools/materials provided by Instructor:
- Solder Stations and set-up
- Solder & Flux
- Tweezers & Picks
- Diamond File, Flat
- Sanding Pads, 320 grit
Also available for purchase:
- Wide Variety of Cabs
- Small round &/or oval cabs, with coordinating pre-made bezel cups, but if you’d like to bring some of your favorite flat backed cabs & bezel cups, please do so.
Tools/materials that students must provide for this workshop:
- Sterling Silver Sheet, 22gauge, 6”x3” or Sterling Silver, Brass or Copper Sheet, 22gauge, 3”x3”, pick 2 (Sterling Silver being the top layer)
- Cab or small specimen of your choice (bring 2 if taking Day Two), e.g., Druzy Cab, Agate Slice, Dendritic Agate, Druzy Chalcedony Rosette, Ammonite Splits, or any FLAT BACKED gemstone/specimen of your choice (I will also have some perfect choices for sale in the classroom)
- Sterling Silver Round Wire, Dead Soft, 14 & 16gauge (approximately 1’ of each)
- Jump Rings, 2-4, 18gauge, soldered preferred (or bring more 14 or 16gauge sterling silver dead soft round wire, to make your own)
- Bead Reamer (e.g., Cousin Craft and Jewelry Bead Reamer)
Tools/materials that students must provide for Day 2 of this workshop:
- Cab or small specimen of your choice, e.g., Druzy Cab, Agate Slice, Dendritic Agate, Druzy Chalcedony Rosette, Ammonite Splits, or any FLAT BACKED gemstone/specimen of your choice. (I will also have some perfect choices for sale in the classroom.)
- For the chain: Sterling Silver Round Wire, Dead Soft, 14 or 16-gauges (amount will vary depending on amount of links you choose to make. You might want to bring approx. 4’ of both, or either gauge).
- Sterling Silver Square Wire, Dead Soft, 14 gauge, 6-8”
** Multiplicity can supply your sterling silver, brass, or copper sheet! Please contact us at least 3 weeks prior to the event to order. Call Leslie at 832-437-6329 or please order sterling silver sheet in advance from the following sources:
Thunderbird Supply Company – Sterling Silver Sheet
Rio Grande – Sterling Silver 6″ Sheet, 22-gauge, dead soft
The following tools can be used as a Student Tool Kit supplied by Multiplicity, but bring your own if you like:
- Jewelers Saw & Saw Blades (I like to use a #4/0 and/or #3/0, but use whatever you like)
- Bench Pin & Clamp
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Rawhide Mallet
- Steel Bench Block/Rubber Bench Block
- Cut Lube
- Metal Jewelry Files, #2 (half-round)
- Needle Files
- Flush Cutters
- Pliers, Flat-Nose, Chain-Nose, Round-Nose
- Metal Shears
- Bezel Roller and/or Bezel Pusher (I prefer the roller)
- Bezel Burnisher, Curved or Straight (I prefer the curved)
- Bail Making Pliers, 7mmx9mm
- Scissors, Ruler, & Pencil
- Bring a sack lunch. This workshop includes a 1-hour lunch break. A refrigerator is available for student use. Bottled water is provided.
- Studio Rules: Closed-toe shoes are required. Do not wear loose clothing that could get caught in rotary tools. Wear long hair tied back.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS CLASS, PLEASE PAY THROUGH OUR CONVENIENT ONLINE CART (preferred method), COME BY IN PERSON, or CALL:
Multiplicity Shop – 832.437.2442 or Multiplicity Studio – 832.437.6329
Payment is required at time of registration.
INFORMATION FOR TRAVELERS: KATY AREA HOTELS
VISITING ARTIST WORKSHOP CANCELLATION POLICY
If minimum enrollment is not met within 30 days of the start date, the Visiting Artist may cancel the workshop. In this instance, all paid students will be fully refunded.
If students cancel their enrollment 30 or more days from the start date of a paid Visiting Artist workshop, they will receive a full refund. Cancellations within 29 or fewer days from the start date of a paid Visiting Artist workshop will not be refunded.